Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Choco-minty goodness!

I made these Mint-chocoate brownies because a friend insisted that they were the best.  I don't usually care too much for minty-chocolaty things, but I figured these could change my mind.

Currently it's been 27 hours since my last brownie. I assure you if it was even mildly appropriate to call in sick so that I could stay home and make another batch, I would. They were so good, that I completely forgot to take a picture of them so you could see how good they look.

The key is the brownie, which is dense and fudge like. The mint layer that goes on top is just the right amount of minty to work in contrast with the chocolate. The two layers blend together seamlessly, creating a smooth balance of sweetness.

I suggest to you strongly that you bake the brownie the night before. It needs to settle in a way that takes more than a few hours of cooling.

The Brownie is simple to make, you will need:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups Hershey's chocolate syrup

Turn your oven to 350 while you blend all your ingredients, starting with the butter and sugar then working in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the flour, and once fully combined start adding the chocolate syrup in. Once everything is mixed spread into a 13x 9 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. It will look a little damp because of the syrup, just make sure the cake is set (not jiggly).

Allow the brownie to cool overnight.

The mint mix is super simple to whip up. You will need:

2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp. mint extract

Whip the mint, water and butter together till smooth then slowly add in the powdered sugar. The mixture should be smooth and creamy. You can add a few drops of green food coloring if you would like. Spread the mint mixture evenly on top of the brownie.

Melt a few chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler then drop small dollops of the melted chocolate across the top of the mint to make a nice swirl pattern.

I let the completed brownies chill in the fridge for a few hours, so that the layers can get to know each other. From there, it's just cut, serve and enjoy my friends.

I plan on making another batch soon, and will post pictures as soon as I can. Special thanks to Mrs. Mama McFadden for giving me this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. I will adapt this recipe to make my special kind. Would you like any? :)

    ReplyDelete